Sunday, 9 October 2011

Screenprinting experiments!

I've been meaning for a while to get into screenprinting, as a way of reproducing artwork.

I did an induction at a local print room, and a few months ago, my boyfriend bought me a screen for my birthday.

Finally I have had a little bit of time to play with it!

First I attempted printing through a stencil. I cut my design out of layout paper, and tried printing onto a couple of greetings cards. The result was ok, but after a couple of prints, the stencil started creasing and let ink bleed through.

This took far too long!

After 3 prints, the stencil was poor. The first 2 were alright though!

Next, I had a go at using some screen drawing fluid to paint the design onto the screen. Then using screen filler I blocked out the rest. I think I need some practice though, as the result was fairly disastrous. I then spent well over an hour trying to get the screen filler off the screen...

I'll try again another day.

On the plus side, I then had a little play about with printing through some random bits and bobs, and quite like some of the results.
Getting experimental!