Wednesday 5 September 2012

Patchwork Cushion Mk.2 - Tutorial(ish)

In the light of my recent worky projects I've been feeling a little bit crafty, so I decided I'd have a go at another patchwork cushion.

Whilst I was making it, I thought it would be fun to take a few photos and post up a bit of a tutorial... I took the pictures on my phone - so sorry about the poor quality! I hope it makes sense too, I've not written a tutorial before... so any suggestions on how I could improve would be welcome!

Step 1 - Choose 6 different fabrics, and cut strips of 90mm x 540mm from each fabric. Then cut these up again into six equal squares, measuring 90mm x 90mm. It helps if you use a rotary cutter, and cutting mat! you should have 36 squares altogether. (I didn't take pics of this... but you end up with lots of 90mm x 90mm squares)

Step 2 - On the back of each square, measure draw a line 5mm in from each side using a water soluble pen, or tailors chalk. This will be your seam allowance.

Step 3 - Arrange your squares into the pattern you'd like them to be on your cushion front.

I decided to use lots of orange
fabrics for this cushion.  



Step 4 - Take each row, and sew the squares together one by one to form a strip. I took the first and second square in each row, and lined them up with right sides facing together. Then I sewed along the 5mm seam allowance down the side I wanted to join. Keep adding to your row one by one until your strip of six is complete. Do this for all six rows. 

All six of my rows, sewn together. 

Step 5 - Iron all your seams neatly. 

It took a little while to get them looking
this neat, they were a bit fiddly...
 Step 6 - Take your first two rows, and pin them together, with their right sides facing. Make sure your 5mm seam allowance lines line up. I found it handy to try to line up the edge of each square so they're neat when you sew them together. - Do this for all six rows.

Adding my third row.
I took the pins out as I sewed
My first two rows together
All six rows sewn together 
Then I ironed it all flat (and the seams on the
back - like I did for when I ironed the rows)

Step 7 - Cut out your backing fabric. I was super lazy, and didn't measure it (which would have been the best way). I just pinned my front piece onto the backing fabric, and cut around it twice - to make two backing bits the same size. Then I sliced an equal sized strip off each backing piece. I ran a hem along the longest edge on each of the bits. This is pretty wasteful, and I ended up having to tidy it all up. I think I'll measure it next time. (Each backing bit should be about 480mm x 300mm) Basically each backing bit should be the width of your cushion, and about 3/4 of it's height.

Lazy pinning (and neatly ironed seams)

Step 8 - Line up the front, and the first backing piece, with their front sides together. Arrange them so the top and sides line up, and the hem of the back piece doesn't reach the bottom of the front piece. The second backing piece should be placed on top, and lined up with the bottom and sides, with the hem not quite reaching the top. (see photo) Pin all around, and sew about 15mm all around the edges.

The back, after I sewed it up and
had taken out the pins.
Step 9 - Turn cushion inside out, and fill it with a cushion filler. 
Inside out! 

Stuffed!

The envelope opening at the back.

Ta daaa!



No comments:

Post a Comment